lucy asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

Please Help!!!! How to overcome depression and suicidal thoughts and the constant feeling of loneliness?

I am 16 and I have had depression since I was around 11/12. It’s in and off and it comes in waves sometimes hitting way harder than others. I was happy to say I had overcome the intense suicidal thought s and self harm only to come back to right where I was... extremely depressed. I’ve isolated myself, I am a social person but I have seen to be conflicted with the people I want to surround myself with. I can’t seem to find the energy to talk much anymore and all I seen to want to do is cry. It’s discouraging when you thought you finally overcame those thoughts just to be back to where you were. I honestly don’t know if I can make it out alive I don’t wanna think or feel this way but my mind won’t let me feel any other way. Please help I have no one to really turn to and honestly I feel so alone. Since my depression has gotten worse I lost a lot of people. I feel like I carry this disease. I can’t afford a psychologist so that isn’t an option. I’m trying to feel better as much as I can.

Is this a medical problem, a natural reaction to depressing events, or a problem of a more philosophical / spiritual nature where you cannot see a purpose in life and a reason to hope?  Ask yourself that question and it will point to where you need to focus your efforts. A medical problem needs medical help, but the others reasons for depression are not really illnesses and might need treating differently. For instance, if you've just become depressed because you are lonely, then try doing some voluntary work with a charity. That will bring you into meaningful contact with people without you necessarily having to become close friends with them. Or if your problem is more to do with meaning and purpose, then focus on the questions of who you are (in terms of family and roots), what your duties are right now, and what purpose God had in mind when he created you.

• username_hidden
      1 month agoReport

And the other essential thing is to know God. Knowing your Creator means knowing that you were created to love and be loved; and that love is not just a human concept but the very reason for why you exist. With God there is meaning and hope, without God there is a fundamental emptiness.

I'll tell you about two options for talking about your problem, aside from your doctor.  There's a number of sites where people who are depressed can chat but I only know of one with a good reputation - 7 Cups. It's run by professionals in the health care field.  Also, if you're worried about getting bothered by the police after calling a hotline, there's one that treats all calls as confidential. See the video.

Don't assume that seeing a professional is out of the question. I'll show you an article about Obamacare. Also, for different reasons, the cost of therapy can vary a lot. I suggest calling social services (211?) or googling "affordable psychotherapy."

https://www.healthinsurance.org/obamacare/how-obam...

There's a lot of things that can help with depression. Healthy lifestyle is something we all need and there are simple lifestyle choices that help with depression. These things are mostly easy if not downright fun. Even exercise - which is very good - is easy if you go about it the right way, starting with something small and adding to that gradually. Just don't make yourself sick of exercise with too much and quit. 

Treatment usually begins by seeing the GP, who can give you a physical and a referral. I mention referral because just a bottle of pills is not a very good approach.

The things you'd want to tell the doctor are how you feel at different times of day, any symptoms you might have such as change in appetite or sleep, and things in your life affecting how you feel.

If you're depressed, I can't tell you exactly what you need. There's no one size fits all solution. I can tell you though that there are healthy lifestyle choices that can enhance the effects of the standard treatments with office visits. This answer has details, under DEPRESSION TREATMENTS -

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20150...

The most important thing is knowing how to cope in a moment of crisis. It's very important to calm down. This will make you feel better and let you think clearly. 

A very easy way to calm down is just to breathe slowly. A doctor recommends inhale to a count of 4, exhale to 6. You'll feel better in 5 min or less.

Also, simple distractions can be very good. This video has suggestions. It also has a very good hotline. No one will bother you if you call.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yBXl81QPyY

Youtube thumbnail

&t=7s

Ever consider it's hormonal due to puberty and hormonal spikes?  Interesting it started at 11.