Air China Dark Brown Egg?

I took a flight from Japan to the United States that connected in China. While on the Air China flight I got the Chinese breakfast, which consisted of a fruit, pastry, congee, and a dark brown boiled(?) egg. 

I was just wondering what type of egg this was. It definitely was not a century egg, as only the white of the egg had turned brown with a yellow center remaining. My second guess was a soy sauce/ ramen egg but it did not have that salty, soy sauce flavor to it. However, it did still have an eggy and unique umami flavor to it. My third guess is that perhaps it was a Korean sauna egg, but I have not tried this type of egg preparation so I can't say for sure. 

The picture below isn't mine, but you can see that the eggs come plastic wrapped and are a very dark brown. Its in the red package on the left of the congee. 

Thank you!

Favorite Answer

There is a "long cooked" egg or 7 hour egg.  The result is a brown white and the yolk remains yellow. 

It's a tea egg. That's why it is brown.

• Nicole1 month agoReport

it had a different flavor from a tea egg and the entirety of the egg white was brown (inside out), even when cut in half.

brown eggs come from chickens that lay brown eggs.

has nothing to do with organic, age, health, nutrition, just the breed of the chicken.

What would you have thought if you got a blue or green hard boiled egg? There are species of chicken that lay those too. this link I am adding lists lots of breeds of chickens and the color of eggs they lay, which, fyi also don't correspond to the color of the chicken either.

http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html

• Nicole2 months agoReport

I've seen variation of pigment in the egg shell, but never naturally occurring for the egg white.

Iron Egg, I believe.