The meaning of "my quarter"?

What can it mean when someone says "My quarter is at risk"?

I cannot get what the "quarter" here means because my dictionary says there are a number of meanings for the word "quarter".

Or is it some kind of idiomatic phrase?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

What was the context of the situation? In the US, companies report quarterly profits to their stock holders. They are expected to report increased profits every quarter. If someone who runs a department for a company can't show improved profits, they might refer to their quarterly report as not being the best.  This is not a common expression, however, as you can see from how we are struggling to explain it. 

• Sorry, I was not sure whether I was allowed to disclose the context because it involved somewhat confidential matters. Thanks a lot!

• Login to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

A quarter is a US coin worth 25 cents. In other words, it is an amount of money. Money is something that you can risk, in an investment or a bet. It is not an idiomatic phrase.

• 2 months ago

It depends on context, but my first thought was quarter as in region of a city, a district or neighborhood.

• Laurie
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

What were they talking about? The context should give you the meaning...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

In nautical terms it means the side of the ship near the stern (back) is at risk, probably from enemy guns. It all depends on the context though. The old sailing ships could not turn well and sailed a lot better downwind, so another ship attacking on the quarter could have had an advantage. 

There is a port quarter and a starborad quarter, left and right. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.