Anonymous
Anonymous asked in EnvironmentGlobal Warming · 1 month ago

Mad Eco-Grinch: School Bans Children From Sending Christmas Cards To Protect The Climate.  WTF?

A primary school headteacher has been branded a “grinch” after banning pupils from sending Christmas cards.

Jonathan Mason, head of Belton Lane Primary School in Grantham, Lincolnshire, said the tradition was bad for the environment.

However, parents said the move is not in the Christmas spirit and accused Mr Mason of “rank hypocrisy” after he reportedly announced the ban in a letter to all parents.

In the letter he wrote: “I have been approached by a number of children recently who are concerned about the impact of sending Christmas cards on the environment.

“Throughout the world we send enough Christmas cards that if we placed them alongside each other, they’d cover the world’s circumference 500 times.

“The manufacture of Christmas cards is contributing to our ever-growing carbon emissions.”

https://www.thegwpf.com/mad-eco-grinch-school-bans...

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

That is as mad as a school not doing christmas because not everyone is Christian and celebrates Christmas

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

Well, I agree it is all very hypocritical and understand the reaction some people have to it, but I think it needs to be placed in context.

These are primary school kids aged about 6 to 12 years old. Some of them went to teachers concerned that cards involve cutting down trees. So, in the interests of educating kids, what do you do? Do you ignore them and say 'don't be stupid' or do you encourage them. They perceived an issue, came together to discuss it, brought it to their teachers, and wanted change. 

To me, this is exactly the sort of thing schools should be doing. It gives teachers and parents the opportunity to discuss sustainability, landfill sites, waste management, single use plastics, and so on. It gives children the experience of debating and trying to change things, and finding that other people will disagree with what they want.

If you look at it as 'school bans Christmas cards' then yes, it is laughable. If you look at it as 'school responds to pupils requests in order to provide them with valuable experiences in terms of their education and personal development' then yes, it'll look hypocritical. But not the wrong thing to do.

• rick
      Lv 4
      1 month agoReport

which makes it even worse

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

This isn't about the environment.  It's about destroying Western democracy and replacing it with a globalist dictatorship.

• 1 month ago

This is embarrassing for our side.  I see so many of these stories and cringe every time.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

It's just a normal britfag. they are all bad for the environment

• oikoσ
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

He IS ridding the waste stream of a lot of useless paper. Besides, not everyone in the world celebrates Christmas. Do you want to give out cards to celebrate Chanukah? Eid? Diwali? Kwanzaa? The Winter Solstice?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.