Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Should I give a gift to a coworker for the birth of her second child?

There was a pot luck baby shower at work. As far as I know I was the only employee who was not invited. I would like to give the expectant mother a card with some cash in it. Should I just give the card to her, leave it on her desk or should I explain why I did not appear at her surprise baby shower?

• susan
    Favorite Answer

If it can be easily done, I'd advise you to deliver it to her desk when she's there. That will give you a chance to say, "I didn't know about the shower in time to be there, but I did want to give you something." Say this with a smile, and you'll have explained your absence without making her feel awkward. 

Should doesn't really play a role here.  If you WANT to give her a card, a gift, or anything else, feel free.  If you don't, then don't.  

• denise

You could give her a card [maybe a gift voucher card] for a small amount? You could put in the card, "Sorry I missed your shower!".

Then she may enquire why later and you can decide what to tell her then.

Ultimately, decide what is best for your wellbeing. What will make you comfortable? Either way, this is a considerate gesture.

i would give it to her