Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 2 months ago

When should I expect my insurance card? ?

Hi guys, I’m 26 and just got kicked off my parents insurance. I work for a local school district. At the beginning of November HR sent me all the paperwork I needed to enroll in a new insurance plan. I filled everything out and sent it back just before thanksgiving break. I’m just wondering if I should be expecting the new insurance card to come from HR or will they be coming from the insurance company? And how long it should take? I want to let my doctors and my pharmacy know asap. Any information would be greatly appreciated. 

• Shay
    Favorite Answer

What date does your insurance go into effect?  Just because you signed  up in November doesn't always mean it was effective immediately.

Now - you did have an event that would qualify for immediate coverage if you applied correctly.  Being removed from your parents insurance should have qualified you to have immediate insurance on your own company's policy.  BUT - if you just signed up during open enrollment - then your policy won't be active until January 1st.  

You should get the cards in about 14 business days if the policy was effective immediately.

If the policy does not become effective until January 1st, then you will get the cards sometime during the last week of December or the first week of January.

The cards are usually sent by the insurance company.

If your policy was effective immediately and you need something before the cards arrive, you should be able to contact your insurance company and get the policy and group number information to allow a claim to be filed even without having  your physical cards.

And you chose to ask here on Y!A instead of asking HR or the insurance company, why?

• Mariah2 months agoReport

I knew someone was going to come at me with this response.. I chose this because the HR dept in my district sucks and never returns my calls or emails but thanks for your concern. 

Just before Thanksgiving was just 5-7 business days ago (depending on your definition of "just"), so assuming they processed them, I'd expect in a week or two you'd get cards in the mail from the insurance company(-ies).

Someone else brings up a good point as did they send you forms because it was open enrollment or did you request them and turn in proof of loss with them?  That would make the difference of when the coverage starts.

The ID card will come 2-3 weeks after processing your enrollment.

It will come from the insurance company.

If you need to see a doctor or fill an RX before then and know that your enrollment has been processed, you can log into your online account and download a copy of your card.  Otherwise, ask HR. 

If you don't need to see a doctor or fill an RX... just wait, it will come quickly.

You may also get a new one at the beginning of 2020, depending on how your insurance company handles ID cards. 

• Judy

will come from the insurance company. When does it go into effect? If you don't have the card by then, they'll probably send you a letter with the info to use in the meantime. If it's effective Jan 1 you'll probably get the card by then,

The HR department can tell you, and if everything is in order they might be able to get you a temporary card if you need something now.