Infinity asked in EnvironmentGlobal Warming · 1 month ago

Venice is sinking faster than sea levels are rising. Therefore, is the significance of climate change overblown?

Venice sinking has nothing to do with climate change. Since it's sinking faster than sea levels are rising, why is there so much rhetoric attempting to create a sense of urgency in regards to climate change? Also, the 1966 flood was worse than the 2019 one.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marshallshepherd/2019...

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Jakarta is sinking and the Indonesians are Going to Build the new capital on the Island of Borneo the sinking has NOTHING to do with climate change

• Login to reply the answers
  • Cowboy
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

another fool speaks.....saying I'm a fool!!

Cherry picking only displays the weakness of your argument - you got nothin'

• 1 month ago

No it's not overblown, Forbes is not scientific literature

• ...Show all comments
    • skeptik
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

You claimed that one thing isn't as bad as people say because something else is also bad.
      Which is the opposite of reality.
      Or do you not know what "particularly vulnerable" means.

• 1 month ago

I was going to give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume you had actually UNDERSTOOD the article you linked.

Given what else you wrote, it's clear you didn't.

• ...Show all comments
    • skeptik
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

It is explicitly saying that subsidence puts locations like Venice *even more* at risk from the effects of climate change than everyone else.  And that the people who make the argument you have are wrong.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Jim2
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The Sea levels are rising. Why is Venice sinking? Right, it has nothing to do with Climate Change anyway. Why would that depend on sea level rise at all? I don't understand what you are getting at.

• ...Show all comments
    • Infinity
      Lv 5
      1 month agoReport

ice on Earth. Meaning, it would take 10,000 years for all of the ice to melt. However, that's at current rates. It is possible the rate at which ice is currently melting could increase. It's too early to determine whether or not this will happen though.

• 1 month ago

Venice has been sinking for the last 1200 years; essentially ever since it was built on tree trunks stuck in the mud on the bottom of a freakin' lagoon. 🙄

No other place along the Adriatic coast of Italy or Istria (Croatia) is being flooded at all.

• 1 month ago

Venice smells like an open sewer. No one will miss it.

• 1 month ago

The sea levels rising claim was debunked years ago 

• 1 month ago

I didn't realize that Climate Change was determined by what was going on in Venice.

• ...Show all comments
    • Infinity
      Lv 5
      1 month agoReport

10,000 years from now, there may be a 100m tall Levee protecting Netherlands from flooding. I'm not so sure Venice will do the same.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Italy is as functional as the USA.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.