Can I cash a bank of America $1200 check with no account?

• Bort

If the check is written from a legitimate account any Bank of America should cash it. I say should because they may not cash a check of that amount because of the amount of it. You may have no choice but to open an account. All you can do is stop in at a Bank of America location and try to cash it.

Don't sign (endorse) it until you're sure they're going to cash it, however they agree to cash it.

Was it your choice not to have an account, or did something bar you from having an account.  It may seem unrelated, but possibly the same thing that prevents you from having your own account would prevent you from cashing the check.  For example, if you are underage.  If that's the case, find a trusted relative with a bank account (does not need to be BofA).  They can deposit the check, and when it clears in a few days, they can draw out cash for you.

With proper ID, you can cash it at any Bank of America branch.

Of course not. I'm not saying that you need a BOA account, just a bank account of some kind. And you will need as much money in your account if you want the money available now.

There are different kinds of checks.  Some yes, some no.  It depends upon whether or not the bank can verify the check is good.  If it cannot, then it will not cash it. For example, it would not cash a personal check, even if the payor has a BOA account with funds in the account.  The reason being it does not know who you are, and if there is a problem the bank is responsible. If it is a cashiers check, the issuing bank will honor it.  If they are the issuing bank, they will look and see if it is good, and if so will cash it. The question is why do you not have a bank account and avoid these problems.

• Awanya1 month agoReport

I did not ask a question about my bank but thank you

Yes, at a check cashing facility.

you need to ask a bank this question

Yes, you can. You are not required to open an account. If I remember correctly, you will need your ID card and sign a receipt.

• Rick

there will be a FEE involved ............................................