Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 2 months ago

If anxiety isn't noticeable, then how come people bring it to my attention? ?

I have been speaking to a therapist about my Social Anxiety and I told her that one of my biggest worries is other people noticing that I am nervous or uncomfortable in social situations. She told me that anxiety is not noticeable unless you are shaking or your voice is shaky.

When I took public speaking in college, I remember reading in the textbook that when many people get nervous during a presentation, they worry that other people can tell. The book said that nervousness is not really noticeable.

These things are not true in my experience. Many people in my life have asked me during times when I was nervous, "Why do you look so nervous? Why do you look uncomfortable?"

These people can clearly tell that I am nervous. If anxiety isn't noticeable then why are people asking me why I look nervous?

Favorite Answer

You can't see anxiety per se. You can however see the effects of social anxiety on a person, the shaking hands, the sweating, the shuddering, the stammering of words, the brain freeze to name but a few.

There are other signs.

Your therapist forgot.

Please tell therapist what you want if anything

To work on now? Increasing frustration tolerance.

Or something else,

Thanks

Very Best Wishes

Mars

Source:) Study Informal and Ethics

Your therapist sounds like she doesn't know what she's talking about, there are several signs of anxiety, not only the two she mentioned.

some people give anxiety away more than others by looking afraid.

it might be noticeable in some cases