Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 2 months ago

Can the city remove my "No Parking Between The Signs" from my property, if the signs are not on the 10' easement area.?

The signs had been there for probably 40 years, my dad had them installed. They were faded a little, but not an eyesore

The parking would not be on the street, it would be in my yard.   There is a asphalt street, and then a 10' city easement area, which is immediate to my land.   There is no curb and no sidewalk

I have seen other places in the city with those same signs.  And the city has not removed their signs

It doesn't matter how long they were up, if the city believes the signs are confusing to the public and misleading people into thinking they could not park on the street - which is what your father wanted people to think - the city has the right to remove them.  That the city may be ignoring similar signs elsewhere is immaterial.

People get sick of people that put up "no parking" signs that have no legal validity.

The city can remove signs that are misleading. People can park wherever it's legal to park, whatever BS signs say.

Do they indicate no parking on your own private property, or on a public area? Your dad can't just put up no parking signs.

Good luck fighting city hall, it seems some one had decided that your signs confused / imply parking on the street is prohibited

Often yes, simply because signage of a certain type is in violation of zoning laws.

if they are not legal, they can be removed..or you can be fined by code enforcement until you remove them

• Judy

Yes they can. You don't have the authority to regulate street parking.

Depends on the city and applicable bylaws.  With no useful information, the answer can only be 'maybe'.