Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

Is it bad I wont spend this money on my cat?

I have a 15 year old cat with hyperthyroidism. Shes been on the meds, but it makes her really itchy. The vet said we could try some kind of therapy when they inject her, and it will hopefully cure it. They said the cost will be over 1k. Would it be wrong to just let her stay itchy. I mean, shes not scratching constantly. Shes able to soundly sleep without scratching herself. I've asked many questions about my cat. I realise some people are tired of seeing my questions. In which case, move along.

• Laura

Its cruel to leave your cat uncomfortable if there is something that would help make your cat more comfortable. 

Just because your cat can sleep soundly doesn't mean that she is comfortable or happy. 

I would consider getting a second opinion from another vet about treatment options for her thyroid.  A side effect of that treatment shouldn't be making your cat itchy and uncomfortable.

if you can't afford the iodine--then maybe look into the iodine restricted diet (think it has to be prescribed by your vet) my aunts cat did well on this--at the very least it might lower your cat's need for the meds and make it doable?

That's a common ailment for certain breeds. Google "Animal Clinics Near Me". My kitty has the same problem & he has to be blood tested every month, plus the pills. About $40. Total. Call the clinic & ask what the teatment will cost. You may be pleasantly surprised.

• J C

The radioactive iodine is expensive, and has things your vet hasn't told you.  One, she will have mildly radioactive litter box output for a while, which will require special disposal.  She will also be housed at the vet for a few days - same reason.   At 15 she is nearing the end of her life, and won't do well being away from home.   Personal opinion is I would opt for the treatment you are doing now, and not subject a very elderly cat to this.   Talk to the vet about an alternative oral medication, or what can be done about the itchiness - possibly a steroid shot.   The vet is going to say that steroids aren't good for cats, but that is long term use, and at her age it's not going to harm her.   You do care about your cat, as so many don't bother taking them to the vet, etc.   Spending money when it's not necessarily a good option does NOT in fact make you a good owner.   I had a 14 year old cat in the same situation, except my vet educated me on the realities of the treatment you are describing - and did not recommend it for an older cat.   Keep doing what you are doing - and without guilt.

Honestly, how much do you love your cat ? If you love it as much as a family member then wouldn't you want to help them out ? At the end of the day it's your choice because it's your money. Just make sure that if you choose not to do the therapy, that the itchiness won't get worse.

• J C
      1 month agoReport

It's not a question that spending money makes you love your cat more.   Read my answer - being a good pet owner is choosing the option best for our pet, which might not be the expensive one. 

Shrek is an ofre