I'm worried about Medicaid cuts, is there anything to be worried about? As a disabled person I depend on Medicaid.?

• Judith
    Favorite Answer

If you get SSI then you have nothing to worry about - in all but 10 states Medicaid is automatic for people on SSI.  From what I've recently read it is people who depend upon food stamps who have something to worry about - around 700,000 will be cut off.  I haven't read anything about any changes in Medicaid eligibility although people who were eligible because of the ACA might find that they will lose Medicaid.

Most of the democrats are talking about drastic cuts to Medicaid to fund free healthcare for illegal immigrants.  This makes me very angry.

• reme_1

Yes, it is scary when they start messing around with social security income and medicaid healthcare..... What will happen if they stop it all at once?????? How would we survive?

Medicare won't be shut down or anything. What might happen is that future expansion of Medicare (like what happened in some states over the past few years) could be stifled or just won't happen. But your coverage right now shouldn't change. 

First off, Medicaid is not going to disappear. The costs of Medicaid are far less than the costs of healthcare provided to people in emergency rooms who have no insurance. Republicans will talk about eliminating it, but it won't happen.

Some states have work requirements for Medicaid. None now, or ever will include people who receive Medicaid and are on SSI.

Medicaid expansion will end. If you now receive Medicaid under Medicaid expansion rules (working disabled earning too much for SSI) be sure to watch for any recertification paperwork you might need to keep your Medicaid. You will lose it if you don't fill it out, and fewer people in the future will be eligible.

If I may ask, what is your disability?

• Pricilla

No, David I don't share that with random people.

You're able to use Y!A yet not able to do similar activities for pay.  WEIRD.

And your laziness is showing.

• fodaddy19

Oh, I also have a side business building and repairing computers, and I do sports photography/videography every now and then as well.  I'm also moderately active in the local car show scene. 

We here cannot read all of their details. 

A lot will have to do with who gets in as president? Perhaps we should Pray to GOD about this? 

• fodaddy19

Praying to your deity of choice is your prerogative. However, it might not be the most effective way to  get your opinion out there.