Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceOther - Education · 2 months ago

Is there really a need for Algebra?  Can they make it an optional subject in high school?

• Mike
    Favorite Answer

Lack of ability to do algebra, which may never be used in a student's adult life, is a major cause of students flunking out of college. I passed high school algebra because I was a varsity athlete, and the coach didn't want to lose me and managed to convince my algebra teacher to pass me. Then, I spent hours looking at college catalogs until I found a college where I could get a BA without having to take a math course. There were no algebra questions on the LSAT or in law school or on the bar exam. I've survived without knowledge of algebra, and I can't think of a single instance in which knowledge of algebra would have been useful.

• Nathan

Everything they teach in school is information you will need to know. Algebra is used in hundreds of jobs, and it's important students know how to use it (even if it's a pain in the *** to learn).

• zipper

Algebra helps you learn how to think beyond the box of what you know for sure! It helps build a stronger and more stable mind set. X+Y+25 lays out the foundation of how to set the problem up to work it out! It helps you learn how to think!

If your life's ambition is to work in the exciting world of fast food, there's no need to algebra.

< I've been out of school for 50+ years and NEVER ONCE have I had any need of algebra. So I definitely agree with you. >

Never calculated the price after a 25% discount?  That's algebra

Never tried to estimate how much a tank of gasoline will cost you?  That's algebra

• Mike

That's arithmetic, which everybody needs to understand.

• audrey

I've been out of school for 50+ years and NEVER ONCE have I had any need of algebra. So I definitely agree with you.

Yes you use algebra everyday.

• Mike

Can you give examples?

• k w

I never had to take when I went many years ago, if you can't get out of it, then find a helper to tutor you, with any luck the one you find just may teach you the way you need to hear it so it makes sense to you !...best wishes...