Can I have a reservation at two hotels at the same time? I know it sounds crazy and poorly planned.?

Ok, so I am going to Barcelona, Spain in January. At the same time I want to travel to Northern Spain for a day or so just to get a “tease” of it. I already booked a hote in Barcelona for a week as i will be flying from there back to New York.

Anyway, I was thinking of staying a night or 2 in the other cities like Seville and Granada just for a sample of what it’s like and then go back to Barcelona for the remainder of my trip.

Yes, it is extra money but I want to see those areas so badly. Is it legally ok? I am natural born American so I’m think this would not be a visa issue.

Essentially, the hotel in Barcelona is like my “home base” hotel. 

Get a tease of it? That's not English.

Entirely O.K. thing to do. As you say, keep the Barcelona room as a "home base" and leave most of your luggage there while you are travelling around elsewhere. Cost is really the only criteria i.e. you are paying for "left luggage" at hotel room rates.

• Sis-Michelle
      1 month agoReport

Yeah, I was going to stay at significantly cheaper hotels in the other cities. It's just I really don't know what I want to do yet. I'm kinda winging it. 

Yes, you can do that.

Sure as long as you pay your bill, you can have 20 hotel rooms in 20 countries.  They don't care as long as you pay.  It would be wise to inform the manager of your "home base" hotel in Barcelona which days you will be gone and even consider pre-paying for you stay there.  If they find the room empty and unused, they could assume you've skipped out on them. 

The hotels don't care as long as you pay.  However, there is no reason to keep the hotel room in Barcelona unless you get a better price if you stay a week or you don't want to take all of your luggage with you. 

Another answer is correct and you need to tell the Barcelona hotel staff you will be away overnight but are not checking out. 

As long as you are paying, they don't care.  I would suggest you let the front desk know you aren't checking out, but you won't be in your room for a day or two just so they don't think you skipped out.

But I've got a better suggestion.  I have done something similar in Spain and Portugal.  I spent a couple nights in Lisbon, then headed south and to the Algarve, then east into Spain. We spent a couple nights each in various towns, and then returned to the same hotel in Lisbon.  I didn't get the same room, but that was no big deal. I've got a reservation for a hotel in Barcelona this spring for 3 nights, then we plan to drive south for about 6 hours, then stay in a few coastal cities for a couple nights each as we head north back to Barcelona. Then we will return to Barcelona for 3 nights.  I wrote down what I wanted to do, then called Expedia and had them book all the hotels. IT's a cheaper way to do it than double booking.  But to answer your question specifically, there is nothing illegal about double booking, as long as you pay.