Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceOther - Business & Finance · 2 months ago

What should I do?

I am a recruiter at my new job. My boss at my new job has me inputting info into an excel spreadsheet that she created. The spreadsheet was suppose to consist of a formula that allows dates to auto populate but it was not working properly. She asked me to reach out to the IT guy, the hr coordinator and random people to create this formula. I did reach out to those people and my past peers that are good at formulas as well as googled and youtubed, but I sit in the front office and I am constantly interrupted.( I was just starting to figure it out). My boss, my peer and me go out for lunch. My boss had my peer describe her as a boss and when my peer was done, my boss asked me did I have any questions.I ask my boss can she show me the formula and I can recreate it from there. She said no. That being I was an HR Manager for 4 years that is something she expected me to know and that I should network to find the answer (which I did) and that they hired me cuz they thought I was the right person for the job and if she has to hold my hand while doing that, her thought process is, then I am not the right person for the role. In the car on the way home, she asked me what I need from her as a leader and is there anything she is doing that I would like for her to differently. It pissed me off because I told her what I needed in the restaurant. If I am going to tell her what I need and if she deems it not worth her time to show me, then what is the point of me telling her what i need?

I also wanted to add, I figured out how to do the formula and I have since completed the excel spreadsheet

I also wanted to add, I have made a note to take classes or get help creating formulas in excel to develop myself.

Also note, youtube did the not work on the company laptop because of their firewall, so I had to watch youtube on my phone. My boss and I was suppose to sit down one on one to gage my understanding, but that never happened instead all three of us went to lunch which I guess was our sitdown.

• Bort

If she knew the formula she would have included it in the spreadsheet her self. She doesn't know. That's why she can't give it to you.

Stop letting her play this power tripping game, well let her play it all she wants but don't be fooled by it and definitely don't let it make you squirm because that's what she's after.

My guess as to why that's her goal, to make you squirm, is because of her own lack of self esteem. Or that she is jealous of your talents or experience and instead of appreciating having you on the team as she should she's childishly upset about it.

Regardless, keep in mind your job is in her hands. Let her play her game however she wants, but don't let it defeat you.

I have been put in this situation a lot. I was hired because of my reputation, proven skills in the field(s) I've worked in, knowledge and experience. Someone was offended by it and offended even more that although I wasn't battling to being right I was just putting in my suggestion(s) as I was asked to my suggestions ended up being what was done, and it p'd people off...because they weren't team players they were selfish and being childish.

What ended up happening was they let it get to them, as I continued doing as I do, just being me and doing as I was supposed to and hired for. So they ended up losing their job or getting demoted and chased out.

There's no reason to apologize for being good at something. If people can't be grownups about it and learn from you and decide to hate you for it instead...well that's their decision and their problem. Not yours.

Keep on keeping on.