When is a good time to ask for a new phone case?

When we were choosing my case i didn’t think much of it because it seemed nice, was clear like i wanted, and cost my dad less money. i didn’t care too much cuz really i just wanted to be a long to use my phone again after 1 horrible week(not bc i didn’t have my phone but that fact made it harder to deal with the week) but it got here and i’m really starting to not like it. it’s bulky i feel like the screen protector isn’t that good and since it’s attached to the phone it gets really dirty on the inside fast

You ask for a case that you now know is not what you currently have, since you know more about what you want. Simple as that. What I would do is ask for an Amazon gift card or two for gifts, and buy the one(s) you think might be best for your needs. But make sure you only buy one at a time. This way you have two cases to compare, then if you need a third option, you have more info to make an informed choice. 

why not now? The holiday season.