Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationAircraft · 2 months ago

Will an all electric airplane (like a Tesla) be manufactured soon?  Will you ride in one?

They already have been manufactured. Perhaps you mean mass produced? I would ride in one, around the traffic pattern at a small airport, or within a half hour radius of an airport tops 

• F

I believe there are a few small ones now. However batteries are still nowhere near good enough for commercial use. When batteries are developed with the energy storage capacity of kerosene, they will take off (pun intended).

Range anxiety will not be a problem any more than it is now. A plane leave London for New York has enough fuel to do the trip. It can't pull over at a filling station halfway.

There are some electric flight training types, but I don't see anything big enough to carry a load coming any time soon.

There are already electric aeroplanes. The problem is range because of battery weight.

Years ago one flew around the world on just solar power.  See the National Geographic special on their TV channel.

The energy density of batteries is inadequate for an aircraft to have acceptable range for transportation.

You can have something like an air taxi, able to fly for perhaps one hour at moderate speed, you may fly between Boston to New York at the extreme limit, but Boston to Philadelphia is not really feasible.

I would not have any issue riding into one, but there would have to be a need to ride in one.

• Joseph

Actually, they already exist.  Pipistrel, a Slovenian light aircraft manufacturer, builds an Alpha Electric trainer.  It has enough battery endurance to last one hour plus sufficient reserves for emergency or diversion, enough for a typical flight lesson.  It takes 45 minutes to fully recharge the batteries or 5 minutes to swap them out.  Over a dozen of Alpha Electrics are already in service with flight schools in Europe, California and Florida.

• FanMan

A very few electric airplanes are being manufactured today, but  for very limited applications.  Batteries are still VERY heavy compared to gasoline, and weight is very important in an airplane, so most electric planes can only stay airborne for less than an hour, so they're not very useful.  I would certainly fly one, it would be  interesting, but as labrat said, I wouldn't buy one.

Electric airplanes have been around for years.

I'd ride one but I wouldn't buy one.

NOPE........and NOPE............(You've been listening to that moron AOC)

• Trump 2020

Not to replace passenger aircraft we use today, if that's what the asker means.