We just furnished our bedroom with white Ikea furniture and it has an odor to it I think I’m allergic to. Has anyone else had this issue?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Factory likely packed it when the paint has not cured.  Open the windows and let fresh air in for a week.  Smell should go away.  If not, return it.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

thats just the formaldehyde outgassing 

• Amy1 month agoReport

How long does it last because we've had it since July 

• 1 month ago

Ikea uses a lot of "chipboard" which is a mix of sawdust, wood particles and glue . . . and much are finished with lacquer - especially the white pieces.  Such things give-off odors.

Odor will fade, but:  we have bookcases my parents bought from Sears in 1973 . . . labels say "made in Sweden" so think they are early Ikea . . . no noticeable odor - until you open a door or drawer and there it is !

We had the air in our home test for pollutants - such as radon - came back with pretty good doses of formaldehyde - technicians said it was from new carpet and furniture cushions . . . you can't escape it!

• 1 month ago

Ikea is cheap junk looks like you got what you paid for

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Your allergy would be your own, others might not react that way.  If it bothers you after one week, return it.

• 1 month ago

There are binders and paints on that furniture that sometimes give off a smell/fumes after unpacking because it's been sealed since it left the factory. It will fade like any new paint or glue smell.

Can you air out the room with the furniture in it?

What makes you think you're allergic? Are you have an allergic reaction? Could it be from something else (like seasonal weather changes?)?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.