If all black holes are spinning in the universe, then why is the public being taught about  non rotating black holes  ?

Shouldn’t the scientific community communicate to the pubic what happens in real black holes? 

Not every member of the public is stupid such that they couldn’t possibly understand how nature works.

17 Answers

Relevance
  • Joe
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

I'm the public and nobody is teaching me anything about black holes.  What are you talking about ?

• Login to reply the answers
  • D g
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

the average  person  doesn't  care.... look at the flat earth idea  so things are taught to those that  care

• 2 months ago

Who or what is teaching the public about 'non rotating black holes'. That's what I want to know.

• Tom S
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The general public is taught little about black holes.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

The physics of a rotating black hole is much more complicated than for a non rotating one. Tv shows and magazines just give non scientific people a basic idea of what a black hole is. You and I need to read scientific journals or relativity textbooks to learn more accurate details.

• 2 months ago

As Black Holes are, their insides are a complete Mystery

Non conforming to Maths or Physics

Just like what is outside our Univere

It is one of the great unknowns

I can not imagine non spinning Black Holes because of the Gravitational force and the probable Correolis effects

Attachment image
    Source(s): Messier 87 in the Large Magellanic Cloud
    • ...Show all comments
    • neb
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Check out @Iridflare’s referral to Kruskal–Szekeres coordinates which fully map the interior of an idealized Schwarzschild black hole.

• neb
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You do realize that exact solutions for rotating black holes (Kerr black holes) are idealizations also and are based on some of the same simplifications that are used in non-rotating (Schwarzschild black holes) black holes?

If you spend much time on YA, it should be obvious that 90% of the people that answer questions on black holes don’t have any understanding of simple Schwarzschild black holes let alone the far more complicated Kerr (rotating) black holes. Schwarzschild black holes are a good, simple, approximation to both non-rotating and rotating black holes - as long as the rotational velocities are not too great.

The Schwarzschild black holes are a good educational tool. The metric is quite simple (idealized to the extreme). Most lay people can grasp the concept of ‘mass’ causing gravity and simple time dilation, but few understand the role of angular momentum in producing gravity and consequent frame dragging of rapidly spinning black holes.

• 2 months ago

I consider myself to be fairly bright and I have never worried about black holes in terms of their rotation or non-rotation. It is just not something that affects my daily life or that of billions of other people on Earth. 

• 2 months ago

Physicists know that most black holes spin, and that is what is taught. Non spinning ones are possible and some are thought to exist. And they are taught as a theoretical concept, as an introduction to the more complicated spinning ones. 

Those of the public that do understand black holes, know about the spinning and non-spinning types, so what is your problem?

• 2 months ago

The stupid trying to teach others.

A black hole has no choice but to spin, and poles likely perpendicular to the  accretion disk.

Now actually, some are not spinning, evident by a random flow of matter orbiting just outside the Schwarzschild radius. not in line with any ecliptic.

A concept image of such:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hole#/media/Fi...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.