is it normal in person aging 70 year old and his blood pressure over 140/80 mmHg?

Update:

he is not diabetic or complaining of any chronic diseases.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

quite common at that age, but keep an eye on it

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

Anything below 150 and 90 is okay. Mine is probably higher than that.

• Physiology changes are part of the aging process & atherosclerosis is often part of those changes, regardless of how healthy the life style might be. Atherosclerosis could account for both the higher than 120 systolic pressure & also the wider than normal difference between the systolic & diastolic pressures (which is also known as pulse pressure).

• Ace Shorty
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Do you know that chewing tobacco or dipping snuff can help prevent atherosclerosis, arteriosclerosis and thrombosis?

• 1 month ago

Certainly can be

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • In
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

That is on the border between stage 1 and stage 2 hypertension and should be treated immediately.

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

That is an average reading for that age in the U.K. mine is the same and I get it checked regularly.

• It's common. People over 70 have an increased risk of heart attack or stroke and high blood pressure also increases that risk. How blood pressure is measured is an important factor and older people are more prone to "white coat syndrome" where readings are high because of the stress of visiting the doctor's office. A more reliable reading may be taken at home when the individual is fully relaxed.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.