Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsDiabetes · 1 month ago

Does hyperglycaemia in T1D cause fat/muscle breakdown and stop muscle protein synthesis?

So if I ate a lot of food and exercised hard in the gym one day, would I lose those gains if I went into prolonged hyperglycaemia over the night? At what blood glucose level would this occur?

• In

As a type 1 Insulin Dependent Diabetic you should be well aware of the dangers of hyperglycemia and should be adjusting your dosage of insulin accordingly.  Seek professional guidance and stop mucking about here.

Yes, hyperglycaemia in Type 1 diabetes DOES cause fat/muscle breakdown, but it does NOT prevent muscle protein synthesis.  Muscle protein synthesis and muscle protein breakdown are at opposite extremes.

I'm not sure what "gains" you are referring to as muscle protein synthesis is an ongoing event that repairs muscles from intense 'working out'.  It is also NOT called "prolonged hyperglycaemia" if it's occurring just overnight.  Prolonged hyperglycaemia occurs over lengthier periods of time ... days/weeks/months at a time.

Any time your blood glucose levels are higher than 14.0 mmol/l (that's 252 mg/dL for our American cousins) you should be testing for ketones.  Ketones occur due to improper fat metabolism and is an indication that you COULD be heading towards DKA (Diabetic Ketoacidosis) which can, in type 1 diabetes very quickly lead to a life-threatening situation where you would need to be admitted to hospital for emergency medical attention.  (You'd need to be put on a saline drip and have a continuous infusion of insulin in attempt to rectify matters.)

Obviously, the higher your blood glucose levels the quicker it is that you're likely to develop DKA.