Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

Are hotel shampoos worth anything?

I went on a trip to Boston and Philly in high school with my 2 teachers and 10 other classmates. On the flight going home, I put the shampoos in my carry-on bag when they should have been in my luggage. The customs wouldn't let me go through and said I had to throw them away. One teacher said, "Just tell them to throw it away." Like they didn't mean anything. Then I didn't want to throw them away. The other teacher said, "We don't have time for this! We have another flight and we'll be late! There's 11 other people on the trip and I have a son and I want to go home! Are you going to tell them to throw them away? Nod your head and yes!"

I was stubborn and still took them and we weren't late after all. I heard one teacher murmur to the other teacher, which I thought was very rude unprofessional, "I think I am going to take up drinking." 

• Foofa

No. In fact the stuff more budget hotels provide to guests is usually the bottom of the barrel bulk product that isn't good for your hair.

• Edna

Good Lord - it was only a cheap little bottle of some no-name shampoo; the same stuff that every hotel puts in its rooms. You should have just thrown it away, if Security told you to do so. You were probably never going to use it anyway. It wasn't worth getting into an argument about or "holding up the line". 

Did you also put the little bars of soap that the hotel puts in your room into your carry-on bag?

I don’t understand. Are you saying that you took hotel shampoo home with you? My understanding is that unless it is marked otherwise shampoo in the room is for guests while they are staying there. 

The hotel where I often stay says that the soap is free but other items are for sale in the gift shop. 

If you still have the shampoo you should mail it back to the hotel with your apologies.

• Edna

The hotel doesn't want it back; the hotel has 100's of those things. The hotel puts those little bottles of shampoo into the room for the guest in the room to use. Whenever a new guest checks into the room, the hotel replaces the old bottles of shampoo with new bottles.  

airlines wont let you take them so just dont put them on the plane next time

• drip

Heard this post before.   No hotel shampoos are not worth much at all.

• Jerry

This stuff is sold by the hundreds, not by the each. The cost is about 10 cents to 40 cents for each tiny bottle or tube. IMO it's kind of crazy to bother with taking something that's only worth a few cents. Yeah, you might want to take ONE if you don't have any other shampoo. But taking several is excessive. 

I don't understand your eagerness to keep these things. They didn't cost you anything and weren't worth anything. Why make problems for others over them? 

There's something not quite right about your story. I don't understand how you were allowed to carry the shampoos on board after the security people (NOT Customs) told you to throw them away. They don't bend the rules for stroppy school-children.

As I understand it, there's a three-ounce limit to how large a liquid-containing bottle can be, to bring aboard an aircraft in your carry-on luggage.  

However, a number of little bottles all containing the same liquid can throw you over the three-ounce limit too.  It sounds like that's why you weren't allowed to bring them aboard.

LATER:  Our church supports a charity for homeless people.  They make up kits of personal care items such as shampoo, soap, combs, tissue packs, etc.  When we travel, I do take home motel shampoo and hand lotion to contribute to these kits.

• bluebellbkk

Actually there's no rule against carrying the same liquid in several separate containers, as long as each container is within the 100 ml limit.

Many airlines will not allow you to carry liquids or creams onto the plane. Shampoo, toothpaste etc is not needed on the flight so it should be in your checked bag. If you have it in your carry-on bag, it will be removed.

• bluebellbkk

Tento, those items are allowed, but in strictly limited small quantities.