Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 2 months ago

Do you need written rental agreement for 1 month residential vacancy?

Due to circumstances, we have a vacant house. A friend has a relative that is interested in staying but only for 4-5 weeks . This works for us (we will have a long term occupant but not until the new year). We verbally agreed on a rental price for this time. Should we have a written agreement as well? Does a security deposit make sense for this short time?


This relative is actually in the military and will be deployed in January.  Just needs a place to stay for the month. 

8 Answers

  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

    No you don't need a written one but it is still a good idea. A verbal month to month rental agreement is 100% legal.  You & the tenant would still be bound by all landlord/ tenant laws for your state. 

    Yes you still should charge a deposit. They can still cause damage in 1 month. 

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Bort
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

    Verbal agreements are perfectly legal. As long as you're legally able to rent the property how you create your agreements with tenants is completely up to you and the tenant. It doesn't have to be in writing and signed by law, verbal agreements are accepted by law and assumed month-to-month terms.

    Agreement terms in writing are better protection for both you and the tenant. If you trust this person...just go with a verbal agreement. If you want a written lease for peace of mind that something is in writting create a written agreement for it. If you already have a lease form you can use that, just make notes on it about the length of the agreement only being 4-5 weeks, and make corrections or notes anywhere else on it that you or the tenant prefers adjusted because of the short term they say they'll be staying.

    Having it in writing is best in my opinion. Things can go sour quickly. Say this person's other plans 5 weeks from now fall through and they need to stay longer. It's your word against theirs. If it's in writting and signed that's a contract you both have to follow.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

    of course yes to both of your questions. what if that tenant trashes your place?

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

    Yes, have them sign a rental agreement.

    One would hope a security deposit isn't necessary; however your friend's relative could be one of those people who has no respect for other people's property.

    Yes, ask for a security deposit.

    Make sure you specify the rental dates in case they want to over stay, due to no where to go...

    As you stated you have a long term tenant arriving in 2020.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    Legally you don't NEED either, you the owners get to decide. But you'd be wise to have both a written agreement AND a security deposit.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

    should protect all parties....yes on the security, but maybe only 25% of the rent.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

    I'd be most concerned that they don't leave when the are supposed to.

    A rental agreement probably won't protect you against this, but it's a start....

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

    You don't legally need one, but it's good protection How much do you trust the friend's relative. What if he trashes the place and your long term occupant refuses to move in? 

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.