Favorite Answer

It's possible to carry anything to an extreme. People make fun of the Stoics as being gluttons for punishment, but a common sense Stoicism that says don't be fussy about what you eat, etc., makes life easier.Β  There's a big problem with Epicurean thought - the idea that happiness in a matter of avoiding things you don't like. At first, that sounds good but if you think about for a minute, it's stupid. It's saying that happiness is a matter of never taking on any challenges. Psychologists say that avoidance is the cause of many problems. This is the philosophy of the agoraphobic and the guy who never learned to swim because the water isn't warm enough. Being a wuss is no fun.

• RWPossum
      1 month agoReport

Thanks. There's something I forgot to put in my answer, which is that, although I'm skeptical of the Stoic idea that nature is a system, a kind of God, the idea that we should understand nature, especially human nature, and live accordingly makes sense to me.

I don't label myself. I'm neither that narrow nor that shallow like you apparently are.Β 

Episcopalian .

• P

Stoic would be closest. I have been called other things

• Liz

None of the above. I'm a dedicated Christian.

The Epicureans employed moderation in their pursuit of enjoyment. They valued pleasures of the mind over physical pleasures.The Stoics held that matter and force (the latter sometimes being called providence, reason, or God) were the elemental principles in the universe. To the Stoics all things, even vices and virtues, were material. Not believing in God as a Person, they thought that all things were part of an impersonal deity and that the human soul emanated from such source.The hedonist believes that enjoyment is the chief end of human existence.” According to this writer the hedonist follows the modern creed, β€œLive it up while you can; you’re a long time dead.”

Source(s): jw.org
  • Teresa

Stoic. I inherited it from my mother.