How reliable are Kias, and how long can they relatively last with minimal problems?

I am looking to buy a 2013 Kia Rio Hatchback from my local trusted dealer (yes they are trusted, I know rare, but I have done business with them in the past and they have PHENOMENAL customer service, anyway...) with about 60,000 miles. It’s a low mileage car for a great price. But I don’t know much about their reliability or how long they last, like how many miles do they get to before they start having problems, stuff like that. Please share any experiences and knowledge you have! Thanks in advance!

The dealer I am going to is a family owned dealer, winning awards for having the best customer satisfaction out of other dealers in my town. Based on my current situation, they want to put me in a car I will be happy with. They also provide a 3 month warranty on any vehicle I purchase, if something were to happen. I purely am looking into information about Kias and their reliability. I do realize Honda’s and Toyota’s are “better” options. I will vote through pros and cons and make a decision.

In my opion Kias are not that reliable ( about as reliable as a Jaguar), but in saying that you are not paying alot

• Bort

Best place to go when questioning a car's value:

https://www.kbb.com/kia/rio/2013/?bodystyle=hatchb...

Personally when I evaluate whether a car I'm looking at is reliable or not I judge by how many of those same exact vehicles I see on the road driving around. If there are a lot of them that means it's very likely a reliable car. If there are little to none of them driving around that likely means they break down a lot and don't last.

I have a 2014 Kia Sportage that I have owned from new and I've not had a single problem with it. But I wouldn't consider buying a six year old Kia.

60,000 miles for a 6 year old car isn't "low mileage". It's average mileage.

• Scott

A 2019 or 2020 Kia will be more reliable than a 7 year old Kia. My wife has owned 3 Hyundai's and they have been decent cars, but she only keeps them 3 or 4 years and then trades them in.

• YKhan

South Korean cars are not particularly well made, but they are cheap and easy to repair.

Nowhere near as good as Honda or Toyota. But, they are significantly cheaper.

You have to compare how much you save versus a more trusted brand for a similar milage car.

No dealer should be trusted. They are in business to make a profit, If they sell you an as is car, they are not going to fix it for free if your motor goes out in 2-6 months.

Hyundai & Kia are value cars. Not terrible but not great.  I consider them 4th and 5th if you cant afford a honda, toyota or mazda.

I was a low end dealer curbstone dealer. I did well with Kias, way back when, because they were dirt cheap and I could buy a $1000-1200 car and sell it for $1800-2000 whereas a honda or toyota of the same year & mileage would cost probably 3 times as much. And they were harder for me to sell.

After I got out of the car business and I decided to upgrade from my 94 buick, I wanted a Honda, Toyota or Mazda but would consider a hyundai or kia depending on the deal. The deal was most important to me.

I got lucky and found a late model mazda with low miles and I paid somewhere between wholesale and private party value, which meant I saved $3000-4000 as compared to going to a dealer and buying.

So, I would say stay away from dealers, look for motivated private parties or drug seizures at govdeals.com. 

Be mindful that the Hyundai & Kia 10 year powertrain warranties are only valid with the first owner.

How reliable is that car going to be?  It depends on the previous owner(s)

Is it one owner or multiple owners?

Is it dealer serviced? probably not because is is a low end price car.

Let's assume you are purchasing a EX (top of the line)... you are paying about $6100 for the car.... how long do you expect a $6100 car to last?

- depending on how you drive it, you might get 3-4 years out of it.

Your comments about the customer service just make me laugh.

Why do I care how good the customer service is at the dealership? I don't really care if they are "nice to me".  If i was you, I'd care much more about the price of the car they are selling. And, of course, they want to put you in a car you are happy with up until you sign on the dotted line.... As for the warranty, what does the warranty cover. 

Check with Consumer Reports, but Kias are among the best.  But it seems these days there are no really bad cars,

• YKhan
      1 month agoReport

Or they're all bad, and the less bad ones seem brilliant.