Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 2 months ago

What kind of private health care insurance should I buy if I am self employed in US???

Favorite Answer

Insurance is specific to your area (it might be down to your zip code)

You have until 12/15/2019 to get coverage effective 1/1/2020.

You should talk to an broker in your area to find the best plan for you.  This is paid for by the insurance company not you.

Health insurance for self employed individuals is a 100% deduction on your taxes. 

Just contact any of the major insurers or your state ACA marketplace listings and buy insurance for yourself since there are no employees.

You should buy the kind that you can get in your state. There is no kind that is available in all 50 states. To buy the kind that is available only in another state, you will have to move there.

• martin

There's a self-insured savings plan that works out for a lot of people, with not only a tax benefit, but also knowing you have that in savings.

Have you tried healhcare.gov?

I am low income self employed and its the best deal for me. (High deductible plan)

If your income is high, I have no idea. A friend of mine, a multi-millionaire has some kind of very high deductible plan that only covers him for over $50k a year.

He does not get a discount on his Drs visits.

I have had the healhcare.gov plans since they started and they are cheap or free every year because my income is low.

But, it pays for nothing except a flu shot. My deductible, a single man mid 50s is $6400; I have never spent even 10% of that in a year.  But its a good deal for me because if I were to have a a heart attack and need open heart surgery, it kind of limits my downside. I would not lose my house over it. 

• Mog

Each state has their own insurance companies. Travelers beware. If you’re injured on vacation you’ll probably go bankrupt.