Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

What happens when you drive off with gas pump still attached? What will the gas station owner do?

I was putting gas in my car. Totally forgot I had the gas pump attached. Drive about five feet and hear my glass shatter in the back. I noticed the pump and hose attached to my car. It was disconnected from the top of the gas pump machine. Gave the worker my personal info. What will be my responsibility aside from fixing my broken windshield?

Favorite Answer

You'll most likely have to pay for fixing the hose hookup. It's fairly easy, as they are DESIGNED to break away without destroying a bunch of the equipment. Sorta like an air hose quick disconnect.

But they have to hire a tech to come fix it.

P.S. People are saying ins will cover it. OK, but be prepared for a rate increase. If it were me, I'd pay in cash and forget ins co.

• zipper

The hose will rip the fill pipe of the gas tank big time, and it could cause your car to blow up in flames!

You will get a bill to fix the gas pump. Call your insurance to get help with this. It will cost $$$$.

This is an accident, just like if you ran into another car. So your insurance will cover it. Give them your insurance number. It falls into the category of "liability" insurance, which is mandatory in most parts of the world. You cannot drive a car without this.

• M.
      1 month agoReport

Its:  Property Damage.
      Part of PL/PD, the required coverage.
      Oh, but there might be a "deductible".

Ignore the anonymous idiot.  Your insurance will cover this, it happens all the time.

The fuel station will demand that you (you did say it's your car, and the owner is legally responsible) pay them for whatever it costs to fix their equipment, in fact they might even skip the personal request and have you served with a lawsuit.  They're not being mean if they sue you right away, they're just covering their legal butts.  Businesses tend to do that whenever they can.

And you'll have to pay for the damage, and you'll have to pay the full amount right away.  If the repairs cost more than you can afford right now, that's what you have auto insurance for.  It will be treated as an at-fault collision on your insurance record, which may or may not affect your rates.

The gas station will invoice you for the damage . Whether or not your insurance will cover you is between you and your insurer. In the UK fully comprehensive insurance would pay for this, including the windshield, less excess (deductible).

well, your auto insurance won't touch this as this is not a collision.  This is coming out of your bank account. Nobody gives a fawk about your windshield. That is YOUR issue which is separate.  I have never done that ever Not in 50 years and my dad has never done that in 70 years.

Gas pumps are made to snap the way it did. You will be provided the bill. 

There are 3 parts:

The nozzle = on average about $350

The breakaway = on average about $120

The hose = on average about $160

For sure you will pay for the breakaway.  The nozzle and hose might be salvageable. 

• M.
      2 days agoReport

👍

You will have to contact your insurance company you cause damage with your vehicle it's just like any other accident your insurance company will have to pay and you will have to pay any deductible

Since you were on private property, the State in which you live may dictate what you are responsible for. The station surely has insurance, but their insurance company may file suit against yours to recoup the damage that you caused. You should report the incident to your insurance company,