When is the best time to apply for FAFSA in my situation?

I'm dependent. I make no income.

My father doesn't work during school vacation. Hence, he works in school. Currently he does work. I need to do my Fafsa quickly, I haven't enrolled in any Spring classes yet. Last semester I applied Fafsa when my Dad didn't work. Does applying to Fafsa when my Dad work and not work affect my Fafsa?

Favorite Answer

Your current year FAFSA (2019-2020) was based on 2017 income.  The upcoming year FAFSA (20-21) is based on 2018 income.  If your dad routinely has the summer off from his job (whether he works year-round and summer is a vacation OR he has a 9 month contract and collects unemployment) that has already been reflected in his annual income on the base year - so it makes no difference exactly when you file, so long as you meet the application deadlines.  Early is better!

It's total annual income which matters. Applying during a period when your father is unemployed is actually irrelevant. If you (or your father) claimed "unemployment" when he was actually on summer vacation from his job, that was fraud.

• nutella1 month agoReport

not summer vacation, it's actually, the christmas/holiday vacation

• Lisa A

No. Only his AGI on his 1040 form affects your FASFA.