Can car insurance add a driver to a policy without the policy holder's consent?

I recently moved in with some family from another state. My uncle went to put insurance on a new car, and Progressive is telling him my name is on his policy, that in order to take my name off he needs to fill out a form. But he never called them to add me or consented to it or filled out any paperwork to have me added. 

Are they allowed to do this?

No, but it wasn't "without the policyholder's consent".  Signing the application gave blanket consent to add any household members to the policy.  

To take off your name, he - and maybe you - have to sign an "operator exclusion form."  That's an agreement that no matter what, you will NEVER be covered under the Progressive policy - not even if you're driving his new car.  If you crack it up, they won't pay squat for it.  

If you live somewhere where everyone with a license in a household must be on the insurance, yes they can.

There are no worldwide rules.

You changed your legal address...Progressive just checks the records...

If you have a license and you arent listed as an operator on another vehicle, this is how progressive handles the situation.  In some states, they will let you sign a form to remove someone, other states this isnt available.  

Totally legal.  

Yes, and in some cases, they must. For example, they may be required to add anyone living with the policyholder who has a license, unless the policyholder agrees, in writing, to prevent that person from ever driving the car. In other words, they had to add you because you moved in with him and he didn't fill out the form.

If he didn't forget that he added you, then they might have added you if you were caught driving his car, which they would do. The only other option would be for them to cancel him for failing to add you and allowing you to drive his car.

• Judy

How did they even know that you existed, let alone that you were living with him?

• Drusilla1 month agoReport

I just moved states, needed an ID to get medicaid and wic. So i had to put this address down

All licensed drivers in the household need to be included in the policy.

• Casey Y
      1 month agoReport

A change was made to the progressive policy and this was caught.  I would expect that the next time your grandma and uncle renew their policies, this may come up as well.  

They did inform him, in writing. Adding you was an endorsement to his policy.  With progressive, may have simply been an email