Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited States · 1 month ago

Help W-4 form?

Hi there,

I’m a 16 year old trying to figuring out step 3 (Claim dependents) of the W-4 form for my first job. I’m confused on if I should include myself for the “Multiply the number of qualifying children under the age 17 by $2000” and “multiply the number of other dependents by $500”. Do you I need to include my parents, sibling (who is 21), and myself? I would ask my parents but they are busy at work and I rarely see them since I live with my grandparents. I’d greatly appreciate your help. Thank you.

Update:

I forgot to add that this is the 2020 version.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

I'll make it easy. You don't have any dependents. Dependents are people you support with your income. You don't support anyone. You are yourself a dependent.

• courtney1 month agoReport

That’s makes a lot more sense. Thank you so much.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

You have ZERO dependents.

The best advice is to IGNORE the worksheet.

Use the IRS online withholding calculator.

• 1 month ago

Single with zero.

• 1 month ago

If you are going to supply more than 50% of your own support you can claim yourself as a dependent.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

How many dependents do you have at 16? You are a minor. You live with your parents, don't you? Then you are THEIR dependent. You don't have dependnts, and hopefully you won't have any for a few years yet.

• NA
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If this is your first job, put single and exempt (you aren't likely to make $12,200 before 12/31).

In January change it to single and 0.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

NO. It says children. Your parents, siblings, and yourself are NOT your children. Your grandparent aren't either. Even if you had children, they would not be qualifying children. They are not your dependents either - that would mean that you were supporting them.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You have no children and you have no dependents.   The answers to those lines is zero.

Congrats on the first job!

• 1 month ago

You have zero dependents. You won’t even be able to claim yourself, as it sounds like your grandparents or your parents will be claiming you.  

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.