If California became independent, who would be their biggest trading partners and allies?

In this story, California somehow found a loophole in the US Constitution that would allow States to seceded from the United States, the US Congress was fine with them leaving and California felt that they'd be better off going at it alone (being better able to implement tighter gun control legislation, implement a universal healthcare system similar to Australia or NZ and implement environmental protection legislation as an independent state) who do you think California's biggest trading allies and partners would be?

Update:

Edit: I meant to write biggest trading partners and closest allies, not "biggest allies and partners".

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Common sense says the US, but it is possible that the US government might restrict trade or enact sanctions to try and warn off any other errant states. However, it would probably find it easy to trade with Canada and Mexico, also probably China (which would be quick to exploit any potential foothold on mainland North America) and other Asian nations like Japan (which has significant investments in Hollywood and Silicon Valley), and the EU too as California has a lot in common culturally with Western Europe. 

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

The U.S., Mexico, and China.

• Clive
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

What does this have to do with law and ethics?

• 1 month ago

Japan, I know would be one for sure. South Korea. Possibly, China. Middle Eastern countries and India too.

I think every other 1st world country except the U.S. would seize the opportunity to profit from California.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

There biggest trading partners would be the same as today, mainly the states from which they purchase energy.

• 1 month ago

They already have the 5th largest economy in the world so I am guessing everyone they already trade with

• 1 month ago

The USA.  Hey, we're right next door.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.