Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 1 month ago

How long am I liable to pay for damage to a car after an accident?

So my car slightly damaged another car. I’ve been very cooperative, got a quote, ordered the new trims for car, even though they looked like an upgrade. She hasn’t confirmed she has received them!!!This accident was 4 months ago and the lady still not booked it into the garage for work doing. How long am I liable to pay...last contact was 4 weeks ago when they said would book it in ASAP. Surly there must be a cut off point. It’s getting annoying now and I’m hoping they don’t say we have booked it in a week before Xmas after all this time. Thanks in advance.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Most states allow the other party 2 - 3 years to sue you in court.  

• Login to reply the answers
  • zipper
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Until she gets it fixed!

• 1 month ago

You have done everthing right, you need to send an email or letter unless she has the job done or is booked in you will be no longer responsible. Give her 4 weeks

• Bort
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

If there is no insurance claim you can be held responsible until the repairs are complete and that bill is paid no matter when the work is done. Insurance claims are good for 4 years through Geico insurance in the US. I know because I've had minor damage claims that I didn't get to make time to have done for several years after it happened and asked what their policy was.

Assuming there isn't any insurance coverage involved since you said you purchased the trim yourself that's why you can be held liable to pay for the repairs until the repairs are complete. If it were done through insurance, which it should have been, the person at fault usually doesn't pay anything out of pocket their insurance pays for the repairs and the person getting the repairs has whatever the insurance policy time limit is to have the repairs done (4 years through Geico) or they are out of luck and have to pay for it them selves. The insured person at fault who's insurer pays for the repairs premiums might go up.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Forever.  If you accepted liability for loss or damage, there is no time limit on when your 'victim' can demand payment.  

It would be nice if there was a cut off point, but there isn't.  You admitted that you were responsible, end of debate.  Whether they ask for compensation two weeks, two months or two years from now doesn't matter.  You agreed to pay it, so pay it when the bill is presented.

NOTE:  When you pay whatever you agreed to pay, make sure you get a signed receipt.  Also make sure the signed receipt says (in writing) that your payment of $____.00 constitutes full and final settlement for all loss or damage arising for the collision that occurred in the region / county of ____ on the __th of ___ 2019.  Fill in the blanks yourself, but make sure that "full and final settlement" thing is included word for word.  And if they wont' sign, you don't have the cash-money with you until they do.

• Edna
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Why in heck didn't you turn this over to your insurance company and let them handle the details of getting the repairs done?  You DO have insurance, don't you?

YOU don't order "new trims" for the lady's auto that you hit and have them delivered to her. What's she supposed to do with them? - wrap them up like a Christmas present and put them under her tree?  The repair shop that is going to be doing the repairs orders "trim" and whatever else is needed to repair the car.

The lady doesn't have to book her car into a garage and have it repaired. When or if she does so isn't your concern.  She doesn't have to have her car repaired at all, if she doesn't want to do so.

How long are you liable to pay?  Since you admit you hit her, you are liable for all her damages for how ever long as it takes to have them repaired - even if it takes years.  

• 1 month ago

The cutoff point is probably more like two years, maybe longer. It's not the same in every state, but I don't think it's this short anywhere.

• May
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

There is no limit, there is no rule.

Have you asked the lady to get the car to the shop? 

If you had used your insurance, you wouldn't be worried or asking this question.

When you have insurance........  ***** USE IT *****  ! 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

She might be waiting for the results of the CT scan on her neck to sue you for her neck pains.  It is not too late to call your insurance company.  Good luck.

• Scott
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

This is what happens when you go outside of insurance. You pay your insurance company to handle things like this for you.

• Edna
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Dollars to donuts, he doesn't HAVE any insurance. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.