Is this safe to cook in?

Haven’t been able to use this pot the past month because I was afraid of what I believe to be bacteria colonies. I tried different cleaning products and boiling water to clean it, but the white marks remain. How can I clean this pot and is it safe to use?

Attachment image

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Speed
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

    I can't tell if the white spots on it are pits or raised deposits.

    If they're pits, the non-stick finish of the pot is compromised and it's time to replace the pot, although it's safe to use in the meantime. Boiling water in it killed whatever bacteria are around.

    If they're deposits, I bet they're hard water minerals, completely harmless, since they don't scrub off.

    Since you seem a little obsessive about bacteria, even though this isn't bacterial, try cleaning it by soaking it overnight in white vinegar, which is as good as most commercial products designed to dissolve hard water spots on glass and metal. Pour off the vinegar for re-use in the future (cleaning use, not food) and scrub with an abrasive sponge. You should see mineral deposits lift easily.

  • 2 months ago

    Friend if you use boiling water on pan there's no way that any bacteria survived

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    It is safe.  That is a burn mark basically like black smoke into the metal of what I guess is an aluminum pot. Nothing there that is alive.  It is just discolored. black and orange and blue and green .  too much heat on an empty pot.  Looks more like a dog dish.

    Best cleaning product is either an SOSpad or Comet or Ajax cleanser that comes in a round can and can be bought at the grocery store down the soap isle.  It is in a shaker can.  Wet the pot or a cloth or both and dust it with some cleanser and rub it good.  It has bleach in it that kills any bacteria and rinse clean.  Most of the black will come off too.  It is mainly LOOKS.  That is all.

    Still has many years of life in it.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Eva
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    The pot is scarred from putting salt in it before the water comes to a boil. The pot is fine to use.

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.