Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsCancer · 2 months ago

Diagnostic Mammogram for complicated breast cyst? ?

I’m 33 and had a diagnostic mammogram, I’ve been following it for 24 months, BI-RADS 3 category. Today was the 24month follow up, the nurse said the radiologist was busy, and didn’t get to closely examine everything but that it “looked stable” and nothing concerning but needed more time to look and write up her report but may suggest another follow up in 6 months! I’m not sure if this is good or bad news. It’s been two years of follow ups what’s ur opinion ?

It means that you should waIt for the report.

Generally a complex breast cyst is benign but the complex nature make it difficult to eliminate the possibility of cancerous cells. The best way to identify cancer is to monitor for changes.

The other alternative is a surgery to excise the cyst for full biopsy. Unless cancer is suspected then the risk of surgery outweighs the risk of monitoring.

I did some research and BIRADS 3 is probably benign. This doesn't mean you will get cancer and if the cells still look stable after 24 months, you should have less risk. I recommend continuing to follow up because if b some unfortunate event, the tumor actually develops into cancer, it will be caught VERY EARLY and is treatable will surgury, radiation of minor chemotherapy. This will ensure that you will have less cancer treatment side effects if you do get the disease.

If you want to be extra safe, you should talk to your doctor about removing the tumor just in cse. But this also depends on your ethical values and if you believe you will still be a women after such treatment(I'm serious, this is actually one reason why many women don't want to get surgery).

• Diane A

cycts can be drained percutaneously actually--have had several done that way, so major surgery may not be indicated here at all

• Linda

I have to come in every six months for the same problem and it just means they are keeping a close watch on it. I wouldn't worry about it unduly.

Talk to your doc