What is a good,reliable,cheep used car to buy?

Honda Jazz or Honda Civic

• F

A Ford Falcon maybe, thought they don't really cheep. What about a Buick Skylark?

You cant really say cheap and reliable in the same sentence, but look for an older Toyota

• Bort

Do a little observation and that is your answer. What kinds of used and older vehicles do you see a lot of on the road? Those are the reliable ones.

Honda's, Toyota Camery's and Corrola's, older Chevy's 2000 to 2010 models, Subaru's, and bicycles.

No such thing.  Like the old saying goes, you can't have it both ways.  That's an old saying for a reason.

It's true, sometimes you can get lucky.  And it's also true that sometimes (okay, most times) you don't.  I currently drive a 2003 Camry with almost 300,000 on the odometer, and it's been really good to me.  I got it really cheap and really used, and I've only paid for minor repairs to keep it running.  My previous vehicle was a nearly-new 1999 GMC Jimmy, barely into four digits on the odometer, and that thing was a money eating monster with a massive appetite.  Even though it still had lots of the original warranty left, I purchased the super-inclusive extended warranty when I bought it.  And then I found out (the hard way) what the super-inclusive warranty does not include, which is a very long list of things.  

That truck is what convinced me to buy very used vehicles and just pay for whatever repairs are needed, because at least very used vehicles don't depreciate as quickly.

But I'm the exception, not the rule.  Very used cars are cheap for a reason, and the reason is not their extended warranty.

• YKhan

At one time the answer was any Japanese cars. But then over the years, they no longer were cheap, and they no longer were reliable.

At the moment, just look at the vast majority of older cars running around your neighbourhood, and you'll find that it's mostly Toyota Corollas and Honda Civics. And you're starting to see more Korean cars on that list too, such as Hyundais and Kias. The advantage of these cars is that they have easy to find parts which makes them cheap to repair.

Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla

Reliable and cheap do not go together.

Hard to beat Honda, Toyota or Mazda.

But anything too "cheep" is unlikely to be reliable.

Smaller cars you can generally get a newer, lower mileage car for less than mid size or large and they are cheaper for tires & stuff too.

• Murzy

Toyota, Nissan .