Why are car sales men such raging douche bags?

It takes 10 hours to buy a car?!

• Bort

They must have been a college graduate. I blame the education system for these very irritating annoyances because colleges teach students to give a very large, long, drawn out, nonsense-full, run around, bull schitt presentation several times before coming to a result or making a decision. And that's only the decision process. Then they have to go through the same long, drawn out, nonsense-full, bullschitt process before giving you a price. Then they go through the same thing before donig the title transfer, then the same thing before giving you the keys.

When it could all be a lot less painful for people that don't have and/or don't want their time on this earth wasted: See car I want, pay for it, get keys, drive it.

I declined many job offers from colleges to teach web design because I was in the field doing it from 1994 until 2012. Colleges wanted me to teach people to waste a ton of time presenting a paper version of a website to potential clients. When someone asks for a website they want to see a website. Not a bunch of paper.

When people want to buy a car they want a car, not a bunch of BS paper crap.

When people order a pizza they want a pizza, not a paper brochure on the ingredients and quality of the flour used to make the dough and components in the recipie of the sauce. They don't care. They just want a %&*#% pizza!

That is what's wrong with the world today. College idiots were brainwashed to waste everyone's life as much as they can with nonsense.

• TheReal
      1 month agoReport

They're not going to change their entire process because it inconveniences you. If EVERY dealer has the same paperwork, and every lender does the same, wouldn't it stand to reason that maybe they're actually in the right, and maybe you're not? Think on that... 

It takes me two hours. I just leave the wife at home. I first google the car & all the extras on Build Your Own. Then, I go to the dealer & just stand by the car I want. When he gets there, we exchange pleasantries. Then I point to the window sheet & say, can you beat that price? When we get inside & before I sit down, I pull out my 10% down. We usually begin talking finance. I tell him, no. I've got a credit union. We'll use them. If he hesitates, I butt in and say, I'm sorry that we couldn't make a deal. Sometimes I agree to the finance, but only if it's with the manufacturer (Ford, Nissan, etc.).

Why didn't you get up & leave? Two hours is more than sufficient.

They're not douchebags, they're assertive. They know more about the buying process, the product, and the psychology of the sale than you could ever hope to learn in your entire lifetime. 

There are a few dealers who will not do a spot delivery, so they must have an approval before you leave with the vehicle. In this case, they negotiate on your behalf, but the lenders can take as much time as they want. This is rare, though. Reality is that the longer you stay in a dealership, the more likely you are to buy, and the more money you're likely to spend. Once you're there, time is on their side. They kept you there, grinded you, frustrated you, and made you more likely to just take whatever deal and leave with the car you wanted. 

Source(s): 20 years retail auto sales experience.

When I was young & stupid like you, I think the longest I ever spent in a car dealer was 90 minutes and I was LIVID that I had to raise cane to get my deposit back.

If you spent 2-3+ hours, its YOUR fault.

Salesman do what they are taught to do. That is maximize the profit on every car.\

If you hung around after an hour, its on you.  It was on me that I gave that one dealer a check deposit. I stayed an extra half hour trying to save the stop payment fee.

That's what selling cars does to people.

• arther

what ever your doing isn't how its done. First rule is you if you need a loan for the car you get it from a bank then your only buying a car off the salesman . If your crying about getting finance you really should think about buying something you can afford not something that will keep you broke.

• Notatroll1 month agoReport

...:Let me go talk to my manager." then it would be 30 minutes and someone else came in, who wasn't the manager, who wanted to discuss something completely irrelevant. 10 hours of this?!

You are doing it all wrong. When you come across a difficult or slow salesman you walk away. There are thousands of cars like the one you want to buy. Just find a flexible dealer who is desperate to sell.