Anonymous

Is it better to say "disabled person" or "person with a disability"?

I am in highschool and writing a paper that mentions how this subject would need differences to cater to different people. In this paper I am not sure if I should say "disabled people" or "people with disabilities". On none hand, I was told it is better to say people with disabilities because people are not their disabilities and saying disabled people is insensitive. On the other hand, I have been told a disability is part of someone and their life, so separating them is saying their disability is a bad thing.

Honestly I can see both sides, and I am sure it can differ from person to person, but just would like to ask. 

• jobees

person with disability/    name  is good too or wheelchair  users or John has low vision charle use mobility walker sometimes

Personally, I don’t think I care

It is better to refer to them by name.

The Master of Perception: http://tiolibooks.com/cgi-bin/blog

Catch a Falling Star: http://tiolibooks.com/blank_1.html

• reme_1

Sounds pretty good- people with disabilities.

• Judith

I'm disabled.  Doesn't matter to me; neither one is offensive.  People with disabilities sounds better.

• There is no better answer, but the label you choose reflects what you think.

Person with a Disability is often called people first language. It is a response to being called retarded, spastic,  crippled, etc. People are not their disabilities, they are first and foremost people. It is a term favored initially by the intellectual disability community, but later others with other disabilities.

Disabled people is often used in academic and activist circles and is a response to the social model of disability. A person's body is not a disability. Disabled is what is done to it. There is nothing wrong with being disabled. A person is disabled when the built and attitudinal environment does not meet their needs. I use a wheelchair. If I go somewhere with only stairs for access, inaccessible restrooms, and counters you must stand at, I am disabled by the environment.  If I apply for a job and you see only my disability - that makes me disabled, not my body.

Handicapped is an offensive term. It does not come from cap in hand when people with disabilities were often beggars. It comes from a game of chance from Henry VIII's time and one person sat out each hand - and they were handicapped for that round. It was not in common use until about 1900.

I consider myself to be disabled. When I am at home or in places where my disability is accommodated, using a wheelchair, not being able to hear or see well is no big deal. But yesterday when I went to a restaurant that said they were accessible and there was a table near the entrance preventing me from being able to get in - I was disabled - not by my body or my chair, but by the restaurant.

But as people with disabilities is preferred by the community I spend the most time in day to day I use it. I used disabled when I write or am with academic or activist peers.

person with a disability is much better than the other. 

I am not a disabled person but one who is physically challenged.

my disability does not define who I am so I am not disabled but just a person who 

has a disability

Person with disability.  However Ultimately you are better off asking the person.  SINCE  there are various degrees that will be up to the individual  and that  would be  the hardest part to determine.

the PC term is person with a disability

if a specific person wants to refer to themselves as a disabled person or autistic person,etc, you should use the term they prefer for themselves.

• Lôn

Handicapped.........