Sam asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

Did I get fired?

I am at job where it is on a semester-by-semester basis. They told me I was not invited back for next semester, but I could finish out the last two weeks. Was I fired?

yes you did....................

You got promoted to general population.

• Cathy

yes you were fired.   Now you can collect unemployment compensation  or welfafe

Essentially, yes. But if you want to try to hide it on job applications that ask for "reason for leaving", you could say "end of semester".

No. You were not re-hired. There is a difference.

• Eva

Yes you were. They either didn't have a position for you or your performance was not good enough to keep you on.

• COCO PUFF2 months agoReport

Those are two different things. Not having a position for the employee is not a firing. That would be getting laid off. Firing is a violation of company policy, bad job performance etc. 

No, you were just not rehired.  I went through the same thing.

I was rehired to teach advanced sections only but those classes were cut by the college--low attendance. They hired a guy who had never taught before, was 20 years younger, and who had his work buddies sign up for the beginner class I used to teach, and continued in my old position. His buddies dropped before the deadline to get their tuition back, but the class was continued.  Then the dean of students asked a few students of my canceled class to come back and sit in the new guy's classroom, but not ask questions (teacher was not qualified to answer).  And they got full credit that could be transferred to the state college system.  That is fraud.

I complained to state labor board for age discrimination.  An investigation found I was only one discriminated against.  It was not "a pattern" as specified under the law.  I went to federal labor investigators.  They said since state was not interested, neither were they.

If I sued for the salary I would have gotten, no assurance I would win, and even if I did, no assurance the college would be forced to pay, since it was mostly state supported.  And if I did win, I would be liable to return my unemployment payments collected, even if I did not get money from the college.

Of course, even considering my many years of successful teaching, I was not asked back to that college ever again.  So I just went on to do industrial designing.

• blank

no wonder you were let go.  You contradict yourself with your first sentence and fifth paragraph.   You DID get unemployment for not being continued as a teacher.

It's more like you were laid off than fired. Either they didn't want to have to deal with you any more or they had enough people and you were too low on the totem pole.

No, your existing contract ended.

• .

Maybe, but you were not kept on.