Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 2 months ago

voter registration?

i’m a college student, attending a school out of state. my home state is extremely democratic, and the state i go to school in is a swing state. i understand that every vote counts, but like it or not, my vote would matter much more in a swing state, than in a state that has voted democrat for 30 years. i don’t want to say whether i’m a republican or a democrat, because i don’t want any political biases. it’s just a question.

my license is obviously for my home state. however, my address for 9 out of 12 months of the year is in the state of my

college. for the 2020 election, would i be able to vote as a resident of the state i go to school in? or will i have to fill out an absentee ballot for my home state? 

thank you in advance.

• Foofa

You'd have to be an official resident of that state and that usually requires that your DL be issued by that state. So if you were to change your license (and your car's registration) you might be able to vote based on your college address rather than your parent(s)' address.

• Tmess2

Generally speaking, you can register to vote at your school residence.  The problem is the growing voter ID laws in many states.  Most states do not count school IDs as a valid ID.  So to vote in the state where you attend college, you will also need to switch your residence for driving purposes to that state.  

Check with the Secretary of State's office for the state your school is in.  They will have all the information you should need about who can register to vote and how to do it.  Student voting is sometimes controversial, but I think that every state allows students to register if they're going to school there. You just can't vote in two places, since that would be fraud.

• Jeff D

It depends on the residency requirements of the state where you're attending school; and as a college student, you should be able to find that out.