Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsBirds · 2 months ago

Unrequited bird bond, what do I do?

My male love bird is bonded to my female lovebird but She seems super annoyed by him, and I think she’s even plucked her own feathers from the stress. The male love bird won’t leave her alone, he’s constantly giving her kisses and trying to mate and she tries to get away but they’re in a cage so there’s not much she can do. The only time she seems okay with him is when he feeds her, and I was conflicted because if I separate them he will get really sad but if I leave them together she’s going to be super stressed. So I was wondering if I should get them a bigger cage or get them a divided cage where they can see each other but still be divided by a wire, or if there’s any other solution. I got these birds the day before yesterday, they were not planned. My mom’s coworker was just desperate to get rid of them, and my mom brought them home to me unannounced.

• patty

maybe u don't have a nest box and so she does not want to mate. if u don't want babies then get a divided cage.

A bigger cage may be the solution.

Are you sure she is plucking from stress or is she wanting feathers to line a nest?

What is their history?  And her health?

• kathleen2 months agoReport

I’m not sure. I was given these birds like two days ago with zero notice, but I do know they’ve been together for a long while

• Raven

I like your idea of a divided cage. Have the divider bars be wide enough spaced so he can still feed her.

Tell her to use the #MeToo. That’ll stop him in his track. 

Get another female bird. If she’s not interested and he keeps pestering her then you bring in another female bird so he’ll have someone else to pester. 

Bird bird bird b-bird’s the word. 

A-well-a bird bird bird, bird is the word

• ioerr

i have no idea but i'm going to say try the bigger cage