I am a legal permanent resident, and I just moved to California and I plan to stay there. What is my legal state of residency in this case?

Hello,

I just moved to California from Lebanon about two weeks ago, being a green card holder. And I was wondering, What is my legal state of residency? I need it to apply to many things including college and financial aid.

Is California my legal state of residency or do I just not have one? 

Thank you in advance 

YOU ARE A LEGAL RESIDENT AND CALIFORNIA MAKE CONSIDER YOU A STATE CITIZEN AS FAR AS STATE VOTING RULES APPLY

You have one. It's probably, but not definitely, California.

If this is your first time living in the U.S., then it's California.

If you're permanently living in California, then it's California.

If you used to live in another state in the U.S. and you're planning to go back there, but you're visiting California first, then it's the other state.

Any US citizen or legal permanent resident who moves to another state, intending to make that their permanent home, work there, etc, is legally resident in the state where they get their primary home as soon as they move in, get their driver's license/state ID, etc. to declare their intent to remain permanently.

However, to qualify for in-state tuition subsidies, you must have resided, worked & paid state taxes for a minimum of one year (some states require minimum 2 yrs residency, paying the state's taxes) prior to going to college/university. Since taxes provide the funds for the subsidies, you don't get any subsidy if you have not been paying the state taxes. Since you just moved to Calif, you will have to reside & work & pay state taxes there for a minimum of a year before you apply for admission to college. Otherwise, you pay out-of-state tuition.

Get a place to live, get a full-time job, pay California income & other taxes. Forget school for now. If you try to start applying for school now, you pay out-of-state tuition & fees for your entire time in school (e.g. all 4 years for bachelor's degree program, etc.)

Also, if you are under 25, you will have to prove you have been totally self-supporting for a minimum of a full year. That includes paying for your health insurance, not just rent-utilities-food. Otherwise, you are a dependent of your parents when you apply for financial aid, and your parents' residence determines your legal residence for tuition-subsidy purposes & out-of-state tuition charges. So are your parents living, working, etc, in California? They have to reside & work in Calif, pay Calif taxes, etc. for a minimum of a year before you start school if you are a dependent of in-state or out-of-state residents residing with them in- or out- of-state.

It takes 30 days to become a "permanent residence . As far as Legal or Financial aid I would find out if you have or can be accepted to a college here and talk to the financial aid office of that school.

• Lisa A

So you are looking for free money, not residency. Your state of residence is where you actually live. But you must live there and pay taxes there for a certain amount of time (a year or more usually) before the taxpayers will pick up the costs of your college.

Check in and get a social security number to put you on the federal list and a driver's license to put you on the state list of who you are. You will not be a permanent resident for probably a year afterwards, so it takes a year to establish residency and get the benefit of lower college rates. You being green card are not a foreign student and don't get the foreign students rates. You are the same as a resident from another state. Get a job, open up a bank account and get some credit cards. That will pass you name around so you will get the junk mail. That is about all there is too it. If you want to change your name, you will be given that opportunity later as you prepare for the naturalization service. You will be called in to immigration for the last time to check on things and you will be asked what name you want. The officer writes it down, a judge approves it, and the naturalization certificate is made in your new name. Then you take the judges order and go back an put your new name on the accounts. It is not a big deal. Girls do it all of the time.

• Foofa

You need to live in California for 12 consecutive months to be considered a state resident for the purposes of in-state university tuition and the like. You have a state of residency, California, you're just not allowed to start taking CA taxpayer money in the form of subsidized education or monetary grants until you've lived here for a year.

• They check your entitlement when you go in to register and pay for your classes.  I saw lots rejected as not in-state because they could not prove they had been resident for 12 months.