I am a green card holder and I just moved to California. What is my legal state of residency?


I am applying for FAFSA and one question is what is my legal state of residency and if I moved there before 2014.

They have the option “Foreign Country” but I’m not sure if I’m actually considered a resident of California, because that is where we plan to settle down.

What should I put?

Thank you in advance

4 Answers

  • di
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

    on the FAFSA you would indicate that you are an eligible non-citizen & enter your green card number.  Your state of residency is where you are living - if that is not now CA, then you would be subject to out-of-state tuition at CA public colleges.  Many states require that a student and their parents live in the state for at least 12 months before the student can qualify for in-state tuition and/or state grants.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

    Look on line for the definition of a state resident for California.  You will ALSO want to check the state resident definition for financial aid and in-state residency... some states have different definitions for school & aid than for mere residency.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Mark
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    Did you move straight from your country to the state of California?  Then California.  Did you go to another state first but plan to study in California?  Then still California. 

    • Nour2 months agoReport

      Straight from my country. Thank you!

    • Login to reply the answers
  • ........................................

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.