Can I get fired for this? ?

So a week ago a customer lost a phone at my job. I tried using voice command to call a contact or something but the phone has no SIM card. Nobody called for it or come in to claim it and it’s just sitting collecting dust. Could I get fired for keeping the phone ? It’s a model that’s a couple years old also. It’s an iPhone 7 or 8 I believe.

I just want to say I did not find it. Someone else turned it in and we kept it behind the counter And it’s going to sit there and collect dust for however long they don’t do anything but  keep t there 

My manager is fully aware it’s there and he said if I kept it after x amount of time he didn’t see anything  and wouldn’t mind but I’m not sure if HR or other higher ups would say anything to me or if it wouldn’t raise any eyebrows since no one is claiming it no one would care? 

No of course not you wont

well why were you interfering in their personal property is what I would first be wondering?

secondly, if you're not guilty of anything, then why even ask in the first place?

This whole incident just swarms of guilt and you seem worried. It makes you appear more guilty than anything. I would expect the worst and hope for the best.

If that's the only thing your worried about is HR don't worry about it, the buck stops at your manager! I agree with the other person on here that it's safer if you just pawn it.

That is just me as I would be paranoid it would be a registered phone as I know in the US before you buy a phone normally in a shop it has to be registered on a plan etc unless it was brought online ebay blah blah ect.

For me and if the phone has no lock on it, I would still factory reset it with it being offline still and sell it to a pawn shop and that's it.

This is the best advice and apart from that obviously the cops although they will never be recovered. 

• John

Phones have security levels you obviously don't know about. You didn't 'recover' a lost phone you haven't given it to your manager to handle. You also did NOT buy it used.

The phone has a name on it. Drop it off back to the name or to the closest cell phone store.

Better than being identified as a thief.

• keerok

If you have idea what office rule covers this, report it to your direct supervisor and surrender the phone to him. Another option would be to keep the phone in your office table's drawer for a month to a year, while waiting for someone to claim it. The duration will depend on your conscience. Finally, if you really can't help it and you're that desperate, keep quiet and pawn it already.

After 30 days in lost and found, the finder becomes the keeper. Be patient.

You wouldn't get in trouble. 

• Linda

You probably won't be fired but because there is a small chance that someone higher up may not like it, stop using it and let it continue collecting dust. It's not yours and the user may or may not come back but it's still not yours to make that decision. 

• Me1 month agoReport

Well, from what you are saying, it appears that you will be sitting at your dead end job forever.  

Turn it in at a phone store or a police station.

Period.

• Eva

Your company has a policy for lost and found items. You'd better find out what it is. If you just take the phone, you could be fired for theft.