Is it best to ask in person if a store is hiring?

I am looking to get a seasonal job and applied for some stores/department stores online (Nordstrom, Crate Barrel, Container Store, Gap), but haven't heard back from anyone. Would it be okay to go into the stores and just ask if they're hiring or is that too old fashioned? Would they just tell me to submit my application online? 

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

You might want to ask once in a while to many managers because it may highly acceptable to them. Asking when to get hired very often can get you thrown out. If you return that is considered trespassing, you will get in trouble by the manager.

• Login to reply the answers
  • I would try calling them ask for the manager and ask if they're still hiring seasonal employees. I wouldn't bother going in person for a yes or no answer. Also if they allow phone calls follow up with your application.

It's best to find this out before you apply. Stores are busy right now so it may take a few days to get back to you. If it's been a few weeks since you applied then they may not be interested or they've all ready hired seasonal staff. 

You should really start applying for seasonal jobs in October or November, before the holidays start.

• 2 months ago

It can't hurt to ask in person if they are hiring/not hiring, it cuts out the middle man so to speak. Also, make sure you ask to speak to the manager directly if possible, because the thing is store workers don't want to lose their jobs and will usually be shifty about the hiring process.

Most big named companies will ask you apply online (Ie Nordstrom), as opposed to filling out an application or submitting a resume in person. The small to moderate size stores however, will usually allow you to drop a resume off in person, although some are now too shifting towards the online mode.

I can tell you that the company I work for requires people to submit applications online, however because we are so big and cover many buildings and sub companies, all jobs are posted internally and can only be applied for in person with a resume to head office, no jobs are available to those who aren't already employed with the head company.

• 2 months ago

Yes. Always. Yes, always.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Yes, it always is. Confidence is the only thing that gets people through interviews, and showing up and asking is proof of confidence. Just write a good CV too and give it to them so they can contact you.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It's ok to go in and ask, but likely they'll just say to submit online if they have an online process.

• DEBS
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If you really want a job, then you walk in and ask. Having already recently applied online can help with the conversation.

• Eva
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If you were looking to be hired for the Christmas season, you're too late. That hiring takes place in early November. Nearly all applications are now placed online. The stores are likely to be too busy at this time for you to put in an application in person.

• 2 months ago

They would still tell to submit on line because most stores have a central HR now, not in the store, so no way to even process a paper app anymore. The manager probably doesn’t even see the submitted first apps, they are screened first. You could tell the manager, but they have not much control until an app gets sent to them. In the big dept stores, it’s probably a waste of time and most seasonal hiring has been completed. You could keep trying but expand to smaller stores

• 2 months ago

It would not hurt to ask for the manager, then introduce yourself and let them know you have applied and you are very interested in working in their store.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.