Anonymous

I make great money but I’m miserable at work. What advice do you have?

I’m 30 years old, married with a 1 year old son. I’ve been working in finance for a major bank in Atlanta for 2 years since leaving the Army. 

I earn over 6 figures but 60+ hour weeks are the norm not to mention the commute. I am unhappy and I can tell it is affecting my health. I’ve always been in good shape but now I don’t have time to exercise and I’m gaining weight. 

My wife currently stays home with our son and I want to earn enough to prevent her from being forced to work. That said we do live a pretty conservative lifestyle so we can afford a bit of a pay cut. 

What careers would be a good fit for me without crazy hours? I’m also open to starting a business and have a good amount of money saved, I just don’t know what business I’d start. I’m excellent in math and my degree is from West Point in economics. 

Why does your wife need to work while you're earning 6 figures a year??!! There are men who look after their whole family, kid(s) on a lot less.

Accounting or other jobs in finance. I saw a blogger doing higher level math e-consultancy, it looked interesting. 

• Frank

Wifey can work....you stay at home a couple of days during these "60" hour work weeks...and SHE can get out and do SOMETHING part time...good for HER TOO. Get a PELOTON BIKE. Work on the BIKE during the day.

Commutes should be a BREEZE with AUDIO BOOKS or SATELLITE RADIO - internet options for "learning"

I found when I was your age, that skipping exercise was a mistake.  I did it for a year, but it didn't save time, because I got out of shape and tired.  I actually had more energy for the same tasks when I was exercising.

Second thing is, try to work closer to home.  Maybe there's a credit union or bank within a few miles of your house?  What I did was switch to bicycling to work, which was possible because of the proximity of the job.  In that way, I got my exercise in, as well as spent less time commuting than most of my colleages.

Get a job somewhere more rural where you could live closer to work and not have as much of a commute. Perhaps Vanguard in Valley Forge or Berkshire in Omaha.

I would love to do banking.

• Judy

If you start a business, you'd most likely end up working those 60 hour weeks again. See if there are other banks where the workweek is not as long for a similar job. Expect a pay cut to compensate, though.

It's hard to answer this, because there are loads of careers (including banking) where people can manage their own time or else decline a lot of extra hours.  I do know this may not be the time to start your own business.   At first, this will require massive hours, lots of seed money, and also inability to delegate.   There's extra risk if you're the sole income provider, as well.  

Also, on that issue, you say you want to earn enough so your wife can stay home with your child.   I assume she agrees on this?   One thing that might take pressure off you is for her to find ways to stay home and generate some income.

After that, the only thing I thought of is auditing.  I know several people who are external auditors, and they find the work fascinating.  They run into all sorts of stuff, but it's all about numbers. The downside, of course, is your commute might be less predictable, but the hours don't involve overtime unless it's a unique situation.   In fact, if you like the bank, the fact that it's "major" means you could even explore something similar there.  Or look at internal auditor jobs at any major company.   

• DEBS

There is no reason to consistently work hours like that. My first move would be to fix that either at your current company or go to another company who respects your work-life balance. They are very common.

Also, my experience is that the employee (you) often put the hours on themselves. They take on more than they should because they are asked to do it. If the expectation from your company is a 40+ hour week, then learn to push back and absolutely stick to your hours on a day to day basis working extra only on a true exception.

Figure out why makes you happy because no one can tell you what that will be

Maybe you are also wrong in your thinking that your current job is bad

Maybe it would be a bad decision to quit your job and start a business because entrepreneurs fail 90% of the time