house gets too hot during summer, tips for staying cool?

my house is on the top floor, it gets really hot during summer. can't afford AC. iam always hot and sweating. i just hate it. how can i keep cool?

• Joe

Of course you can afford it. Air conditioners are pretty inexpensive. Save five or ten bucks each week for a while and go buy one. 

Close your window shades and take off as much clothing as you feel comfortable.

Ice cold beer.  Not actually ice but just on the verge. So fridge is set to 30F and put a thermometer in the fridge to see the cool temp of the non frozen stuff.  My factory fridge setting was at 40F for the milk and stuff.   I cranked it colder so now it is 32ish still won't cause water to ice over. So neither milk nor beer are gonna freeze either or fresh vegetables.  But quite a bit colder.   Otherwise try and get a basement apartment or stay in the stores that have AC, so shop your rocks off LOOKING, or get a job.  They have AC

• Droopy

fans but I've seen a/c window units for around 100 bucks.  probably not enough to coool whole house.  But could give you a cool room to retreat to.

I know growing up we cooled a 1500 sqft house with 2 window units.  One in the living room then one in my parents room with fans in hall blowing cool air into my room an sisters room.

Source(s): Life

Have a shower every hour 

• I care

Best answer to this is purchase maybe a couple floor fans which should help you some.  Being on the top floor is the big reason your room is much hotter.  Good wishes.  Look at sales or Goodwill maybe more affordable prices for fans.

Back before the advent of home air conditioners we had a large windows fan that pulled air out of the house and by opening the windows in each room there was always a breeze moving through the rooms. The fact that the air was moving helped you feel a bit cooler.

• drip

If it is humid and hot, there is really not much you can do.  Fans just blow around hot air. But that can the apartment from feeling stuffy.

Keep the sun out with shades.  

Sometimes if it is very humid out you are better off keeping everything closed up while the sun is out.

Don’t use your stove or oven. Eat light. Drink plenty of water.

Growing up we didn’t have AC. I took showers  to cool off me off. 3 minutes in the cold water helped. 

Fans are always an option.  However, a cheap solution is water.  Wet a cloth and tie or hang it around your neck...the evaporation is very cooling.  You can also dampen a shirt and cap and throw those on...again the evaporation effect.  At night you can sleep on a damp towel (put some plastic under the bottom sheet if you're afraid of your mattress getting damaged although most mattresses won't be negatively affected and will dry out quickly).  Keep lights off as much as possible, as well as items that put out heat (granted, that's not always feasible)...you'd be surprised how much ambient heat electronics throw off.  

Wear minimal/light clothing, like shorts/vests to keep cool. Wear white as it reflects the sun rather than absorbing it, keep your windows/vents open to allow fresh air to circulate. Stay hydrated by drinking cool water and juice. For meals think about having cold food like sandwiches or salads rather than eating hot food as that will only heat you up, and having the cooker on will heat the house up.