Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 2 months ago

Is it weird to have a nationality but not hold a passport of this country?

I am a person who has two nationalities, based on my mom and dad. Not to give specific details about myself, even though I have blood from both countries, I do not hold a passport for one of these countries. I don’t know why I don’t, but I feel it is stupid for me to ask my parents.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

It depends on what is the other country.  For example, many countries have universal military conscription and your parents may have not gotten you a passport for the other country so they would not be trying to force you into the military.  You need to discuss the issue with your parents, and especially if you are under the age of 18.  Search "_______ nationality law" so you know what to talk about. 

• Login to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

No. It's common not to have any passports. Passports are expensive. It's weird to get a passport that you don't need.

• 2 months ago

I am a dual citizen,  but I do not have a passport from either one of the countries.  I could apply, and get passports from both of them, but, at present, I don't have one.

• Lisa A
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

In Europe, it is weird. Everyone has a passport. In the US, it is not unusual at all. A passport isn't needed unless you are going to leave the country, and most Americans never leave the country.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Ethnicity and citizenship (nationality) are two entirely different things. Most people in "immigrant nations" have "foreign" blood. But that doesn't make them citizens of the places their ancestors emigrated from.

• 2 months ago

You DO need to talk to your parents. Why have they failed to protect your citizenship rights? They need to act appropriately as they have failed in their parental duty to protect their child.

• Passports are not normally needed to protect citizenship rights. 

• 2 months ago

I have four nationalities but only hold three passports.  In September 2020 I will be entitled to a fifth.  At some point you hit the law of diminishing returns.  But I would always recommend holding two.  That could one day save your life and it would be too late to apply when that moment comes.  My grandmother was able to get out of Germany at the start of WW2 by hiding her Great British passport  in her petticoats and showing her Irish one.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Lots of people don't apply for a passport, no point unless you plan on travelling

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.