Is it common to sign a lease at beginning or end of month?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • ron h
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

it's really common, but you and the LL can agree to ANYTHING that's legal. You COULD agree to pay with live chickens on the 5th of the month. (I'd want that in writing, though).  If you and the LL can't agree on start date, find someplace else to live.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

Lease renew yearly

• 2 months ago

A lease can be signed at any time.  It does not have to be the beginning or end. It can be mid month.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Common to sign when you agree to rent the place and before you move in. If the landlord it holding it for you, then you'll be expected to sign before he holds it,

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Signing it a couple of months before you move in.

If you were to sign it a couple of months before you move in then that should give you enough time to move from one place to another.

• nanu
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

no.....................................

• 2 months ago

Sure but you can sign it anytime and date it for any day.  Typically if you sign mid month and the tenancy starts at some point in the middle of the month you simply prorate the first month (pay only for the portion of the 1st month that you live there) and the lease (12 months or whatever) runs from the 1st of the next for the leas term.  IE For example you may sign the lease May 5th, move in May 10th, you pay seperately for the period May 10th to the 31st, but the lease still runs from June 1st of this year thru May 31st of next year (for a 1 year lease).  This is typically how I do it (and most landlords around here) but the process may vary a bit place to place.

• R P
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Normally you sign the lease the day you start paying rent, but the due date for rent is normally the first day of each month. 

If you sign mid-month, management can choose to have you prepay the first full month & then prorate the second month, or they can have you pay a prorated amount for the balance of the current month along with the full rent for the next month.

Source(s): Florida landlord
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It is common to sign the contract when you apply to rent a property and that can be any day of the month

• 2 months ago

I used to think all leases started on the first of the month but came to find out they can be any day of the month. But the person leasing the place out obviously prefers the lease start as soon as possible so they start earning money. 

(I’ve had leases start and end at beginning/middle/end of a month. I had one lease start August 7 and end December 20)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.