Can you get a cdl license to be a school bus driver while collecting ssi?

I would like to be a part-time school bus driver but I'm on ssi, so any help would be appreciated thk u

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

While on SSI you can earn some income.  It varies by state and the amount of SSI you are receiving.

- There also maybe "SSI to work" programs in your area to help you transition from SSI (welfare) to employed.

That said, I can't think of any disability someone who is receiving SSI has that would make them able to be a bus driver. 

Welfare is intended to be helping hand not a handout.

It's great that you are thinking of ways to re-enter the workforce.

It sucks that you only want to do it up to the point it doesn't impact your SSI instead of trying to figure out what you are capable of actually doing.

- unfortunately, with so much welfare fraud there will never be enough money to go around and you will always be dirt poor if you think living on SSI is the answer. 

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

No. your employer has to take deductions and pay to Social Security. Your number would pop up immediately.

• Andy
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

You can train and volunteer to be a driver while unpaid, but almost any income you would be paid as a professional bus driver would cause your SSi to be reduced or cut off. This could be a good thing for you: a sign of healing and getting back into mainstream life with good pay and benefits, instead of being disabled in poverty on SSi.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.