Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

Why do I need captions to understand the English?

It sounds like everybody I listen to from England is drunk. There seems there is an epidemic of slurring going on

I am an American, from the PNW. I pronounce every letter and syllable. Dp why don't the English.?

They used to look down on the Yanks for our appalling use of language. Now I'd say the tables are turned, lol

I am getting my information from English documentaries on Youtube. 

• Jerry
    Favorite Answer

Not to worry, we have plenty of sloppy pronunciation on our own side of the Atlantic. Even NPR is saying "Feb yew air ee" and "Lie bear ee" as if the "R" were invisible. I wish I had a couple buck for every time I've asked a lecturer a question like "This word you're using, 'in a bait' -- do you mean that word that is spelled as if it were INTUBATE?" Don't these people realize that a great many students speak English as a second language, that a great people won't readily understand these sloppy pronunciations?  And how are we ever to spell correctly if we insist on pronouncing incorrectly? 

You are a most unusual American English speaker if you pronounce every letter and syllable, especially when talking fast. We slur just as much as the Brits do, only in different words and with different accents and vocabulary.

Most Americans would say, in relaxed pronunciation, "What are we 'spoze' [supposed] to be doing?" or "I 'musta' [must have] left my keys in the car" or "Gotcha [I got you]!"

• jimmy

That goes both ways. I met a man from one of your southern states and couldn't understand a bloody word he said, my friend from Michigan had to translate.

• RE
      1 month agoReport

KB: The South has also given us shining lights like Stacey Abrams and Elijah Cummings. Don't do these blanket condemnations.